Hudson Valley Sudbury School always welcomes new staff applicants, whatever our current staff situation. We are also accepting applications for volunteer substitute staff for the current school year.
Working as a staff member at HVSS is very different from working in a conventional school; if your primary interest is in “teaching,” or even “guiding,” then the Sudbury model of education is unlikely to be a good fit for you.
About the Position
Staff members at Hudson Valley Sudbury School ensure that the day-to-day environment and operation of the school reflects the school’s educational philosophy; act as role models of successful adult behavior; facilitate student access to resources; and perform the administrative and maintenance tasks required to run the school and care for the school property.
Successful staff members honor the choices of students even if they would not make those choices, and they trust the school’s peer-based judicial system to effectively resolve rule infractions. At HVSS, students are in full control of how and when to pursue their interests and they determine the extent of staff involvement in their pursuits. Often no staff involvement is required, and at other times staff may be called upon to support students as friends, facilitators, or mentors.
Minimum Required Qualifications
• A solid grasp of the school’s educational philosophy and practices, and a strong commitment to them
• Continued striving for personal growth
• Demonstrated passion and engagement with personal interests
• Model responsible, respectful, mature adult behavior at all times
• Extremely reliable, punctual, and possessing a high level of energy and professionalism
• Must be safety conscious and must be committed to understanding and complying with all school laws and policies
• Strong communication and literacy skills, including the ability to express thoughts in writing, tailor communication with students of different age groups and developmental levels in a respectful, egalitarian, and non-patronizing manner, and interact effectively with people of all ages and backgrounds (family members, school district officials, business contacts, etc.)
• Strong self-management skills, including high levels of initiative, excellent time-management and efficiency, and the ability to effectively balance day-to-day operational responsibilities with availability to students
• High level of computer literacy, including fluency with word processing, email, etc.
• Ability to maintain confidential student and family data and to protect student privacy
• Ability to work with neuro-diverse population
• Ability to pass mandatory background checks
Still interested? Click here for application information.
Hudson Valley Sudbury School